Eczema is a condition which includes symptoms such as: itching and the presence of red, rough, cracked and inflamed patches. The most common kind of eczema is known as atopic dermatitis. This condition can be an irritating one, if not treated and taken care of. Some people get this condition a several times a year, while some face it regularly. Eczema treatment comes down to achieving 3 basic goals, 1) Healing the Skin, 2) Controlling the itchiness, 3) Preventing infections and flares. This article will discuss the best ways to treat Eczema.
Firstly, it is important to note that the methods to treat Eczema depend completely upon the medical history, age and the severity of the condition. If you feel that your condition is worsening, you need to consult a doctor immediately. Eczema can be treated with medications like antibiotics as well as ointments. However, along with these, you need to be careful and follow the below mentioned tips as well.
- Healthy Skin – Keeping your skin healthy is the first step to preventing all kinds of infections and diseases. Note that the use of extreme hot water makes your skin dry, which would result in itching and dryness. The number one rule is, not to scratch the area infected. Scratching it would lead to making the Eczema worse. Furthermore, it is better if you avoid washing your skin with a foaming soap, instead, use a cleanser that is gentle on your skin. Moreover, it is also important to use a towel that is soft, and just pat your skin instead of rubbing it harshly.
- Avoiding contact with irritants – When you have Eczema, you need to be careful and stay away from irritants like perfumes, detergents, household cleaners and even cosmetics. These irritants can result in making your skin irritated and your Eczema worst. Reduce the use of perfumes, if you’re going through this condition.
- Moisturize – Using a moisturizer and keeping your skin damp will help you recover fast. Make sure that you don’t scratch yourself at night, wear gloves or anything that would help you from avoiding to scratch yourself at night. Also, do not wash that part so much that is dry’s your skin and stimulate itching.
- Comfortable Clothing – You need to wear clothes that are not so harsh on your skin. Furthermore, you need to keep a check on what kind of stuff triggers or makes your Eczema worse. For example, detergent, pollen, dust etc. Also, you need to relax and avoid stress.
- Stay Clean – It is important to avoid sweat, as it leads to itching. Take a shower in situations where you exercise or feel sweaty.
The above mentioned pointers are some methods which could help you in treating your Eczema. In addition to these tips, you can use medication, with doctor’s prescription. Medications like Topical steroids, Antiinfectives, Barrier Repair Creams for Atopic Dermatitis and more can be used with prescriptions from the doctor.